A place-based high school semester program.
Fall: Late August – Early December
Zambia | Botswana | Namibia | South Africa
Explore the sun-kissed terrain of southern Africa and experience all it has to offer. Travel in an overland truck through four countries, completing coursework by day and camping at night. Learn, study and grow alongside your Traveling School community of faculty and classmates. This 15-week semester is full of place-based academics, engaging with local communities and outdoor adventures that build leadership skills.
The Traveling School brought inspiration, engagement and purpose to my education and my life. Coming home I still wake up every day excited to try and learn something new and feel as engaged as I did when I woke up in a tent every day with the closest community ever.
What You Might Study
- Dig into the relationships between humans, wildlife and land through safari sightings, meetings with conservationists and living in the bush.
- Tackle the complexities of the diamond industry as you travel the Skeleton Coast and investigate a sand-swept abandoned diamond town.
- Design and conduct a scientific study on elephant behavior based on observational data collected firsthand in the field.
- Explore the lasting impacts of apartheid and what it looks like to rebuild a nation.
What You Might Do
- Float Botswana’s Okavango Delta in makoros with Tswana river guides.
- Sand sled Namibia's dunes.
- Rock climb sandstone walls and rappel alongside cascading waterfalls in South Africa.