Curious about what it takes to teach for The Traveling School? Dive in and discover if you’re qualified and ready to teach, mentor, travel, and live with a tight-knit community of teenage girls and co-teachers while teaching about female empowerment, positive body image, leadership and finding a voice in this ever-changing world.
We endeavor to create a four-person teaching team with complementary skills.
Like students, teachers have limited personal space or free-time for the duration of the four-month contract and are requested to step back from technology to engage with the world.
We seek instructors who have:
- Traveled overseas with groups of teenagers to the regions where we travel
- Teaching experience – either formal or informal with our target age group
- Outdoor education experience and/or experience with a leadership & group dynamics curriculum
Our hiring process takes time. Jobs will be posted in early December and will close late January. We will review applications, interview and strive to hire our teaching staff by mid-April. We appreciate our teachers and know this is one of the most challenging yet rewarding jobs in the universe.
- Do you meet the minimum qualifications?
- Does the scope of duties intrigue you?
2. Explore our website to learn about classes, community living and Traveling School values.
3. Review the Teacher Essential Eligibility Criteria [PDF] to see if The Traveling School is the right fit for you.
4. Submit an application and supplemental materials by February 10, 2020.
- One-page cover letter outlining your interest, desired role, semester and course load.
- Official higher learning transcripts
- 3-minute (max) video uploaded to Youtube:
- What to highlight:
- Who you are?
- Why are you the best candidate?
- What else should we know about you?
- The goal of the video is to develop a multidimensional, personal view of the applicant. It is not intended to assess the candidate’s technological abilities. Applicants are encouraged to take a creative approach.
- What to highlight:
The Traveling School is committed to excellence through diversity in its students, faculty, staff, and Board of Directors. The Traveling School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees/applicants for employment and students/student applicants without regard to race, sex, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, creed, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or political affiliation – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or employment qualifications or where marital or veteran status are statutorily defined eligibility criteria for Federal or State laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. The Traveling School will make reasonable accommodations to allow qualified individuals with a disability to participate in the essential functions of the program. This policy does not preclude discrimination based on bona fide qualifications or other recognized exceptions under the law.
As a member of The Traveling School community, you are entitled to work/study in an environment free of discrimination. Racial, sexual or ethnic remarks or slurs and other forms of harassment are not tolerated. If you feel you have been treated unfairly, notify the Executive Director. There are procedures available to address your concerns.